If you are students and looking for the right and decent knife set, you need to consider some of the tips on choosing the right knife sets before buying.
10” Chef’s Knife
As my mentor said you need to be ready handling different sizes of knife especially when working in another kitchen. It is better if you can go to a store get a grip of different Chef’s knife and feel the grip and balance.
3″ Paring Knife
Great for breaking up heads of lettuce, peeling fruits and vegetables.
10.5″ Bread/Roast Slicer Knife
Use for slicing bread and roasted meat.
6″ Boning Knife
Use for removing the bones of poultry, pork or beef meat and fish.
5-6” Petty Knife
Allows for vital accuracy while dicing, slicing, or cutting small items, particularly softer fruits and vegetables.
These are the basic student’s knife sets that you need. Most school for culinary provides the knife sets that you need so you don’t need to worry. Some students just want to buy different sets of knife for uniqueness and designs.
Have you just bought new culinary knife sets? Well, it does not make sense to spend a lot of money on a high-quality knife only to misuse the same. Just like any other piece of cutlery, knives require proper maintenance. Fortunately, the internet is filled with information about knife care tips. Here are some knife care tips for.
How to clean your knife
It is advisable to keep your knife clean not only to make them attractive but also safe for use. A culinary knife should be clean during use. It is good to rinse your knife using hot water and then wipe it to dry before you begin using the same in your kitchen.
Cleaning the knife will prevent food particles from sticking
You should rinse the knives and wipe then down before storing them for next time. To keep the knife clean as well as safe, use hot water and mild soap during the process of cleaning. In case, food has stuck on the knives then you should soak it in water before you start cleaning. Finally, you need to know that knives are not supposed to be washed in
How to wash your student culinary knife sets
- Do not dump the set of knives in a sink containing soap water. Instead, the knives should be washed carefully and separately. The knives are likely to injure you in case you attempt to pick them from the bottom of the sink while trying to clean them.
- Pick the knife while the blade is pointed away from you. In addition, ensure that you are not distracted while picking the knife
- Wipe the blades of the knives slowly using a dished cloth. Make sure that the sharp edge does not come into contact with you at any point as you clean
- Wipe the knives dry as you did when cleaning them
- Store the knives away from children and pets
How to sharpen and hone knives
Honing and sharpening are different. Honing helps to keep the knives sharp but it does not sharpen them. Honing entails removing spurs, nicks and re-calibrating the knife’s angle.
- While holding the knife in your left hand, rest the steel bottom side on a flat surface so that it does not slide
- Place the knife against a steel rod and pull slowly while maintaining a specific angle preferably 20 degrees.
- Repeat the process for about ten times
- Wipe the blade until it becomes clean
There are different ways to sharpen the knife. You can use a whetstone to make the process a breeze.
- Grasp the handle of the knife and hold its edge against a stone
- Stabilize the blade using the other hand
- Slide the knife blade back and forth
- Repeat the process several to make the knife sharper
If you have some questions comments and suggestion feel free to leave a message below. Have cooking!