So as there are a hundred different versions of Baked Baby Back Ribs, there is also one recipe that captured my heart. Maybe the reason behind this is I am an Asian. This sweet and spicy baby back ribs that I am sharing right now is an Asian inspired version of baby back ribs because instead of using a barbeque sauce that many of us love, I used a sweet chili sauce that you can get from your local supermarkets. You can use any sweet and chili sauce brand, I also included mine in the pictures below.
Oven Cooking Sweet and Spicy Baby Back Ribs Recipe is a recipe of plain baking of baby back ribs. I don’t do grilling afterwards just like what Charred loves on his barbequed baby back ribs. Oven cooking of baby back ribs gives me less hassle in kitchen when I am in full charge of the house. After I slip in my baby back ribs in the oven and wait for it for 5 hours, I can do whatever I want, from cleaning the house to writing a blog about a certain topic.
My daughter Sofia is not yet a fan of spicy foods, I guess because of her very young age. Well, I hope someday she’ll get to experience the goodness of spicy foods. So for now, the one I’m using for her is the usual barbeque sauce available in the supermarket.
You can choose any barbeque sauce that you want or you can try our barbeque sauce from scratch that Charred wrote a post before (see Easy Baked Baby Back Ribs Recipe for your reference). Still the same procedures and techniques for this fall off the bone baby back ribs. You can also do the same techniques if you want a different sauce that you really want, it doesn’t matter. But if you could at least try this sweet and spicy baby back ribs, or maybe, just like me, sweet chili sauce is your thing, you will surely love this.
You can also try this on a country style cut of meat or St. Louis.
OVEN COOKING SWEET AND SPICY BABY BACK RIBS RECIPE
Preparation Time: 20 MINS.
Cooking Time: 5 HOURS, 15 MINS.
- 1 slab baby back ribs
- kosher salt
- dried chili flakes
- 1 cup sweet and chili sauce
- Rinse clean and pat dry ribs.
- Remove membrane by using a butter knife or teaspoon, although teaspoon is better than using the knife. Wedge it just underneath of the membrane to loosen. Pull the membrane up and off the bone.
- Season the rib with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and chili flakes both sides.
- You can actually bake this right after seasoning but for some, they really want the meat to fully absorb the RUB.
- Wrap it with aluminum foil, make sure that the ribs is enclose with the foil. Now wrap it again with a cling wrap. Since it was Saturday when I bought this, I chilled it overnight and served it Sunday lunch. Still same procedure like the first baby back ribs I posted here.
- Put in chiller for 4hours or overnight but if you want to bake them right away after seasoning the ribs, you can do so. Chilling the ribs for 4-8hours is optional if you want to get an even more flavorful baby back ribs.
- Straight from the chiller, put ribs in baking sheet or tray then to the oven with its foil and cling wrap on.
- Bake for 4 – 5 hours at 250F (120C). I like mine for 5 hours to get that fall off the bone ribs.
- After 5 hours of doing something else while waiting, remove your ribs from the oven, discard the foil and just about to do the MAIN EVENT of this recipe. (Just don’t forget to set your oven to 446F (230C).
- Get your sweet chili sauce and brush on your baby back ribs until all sides are done.
- Put them back in at the top rack of the oven and broil for about 15 minutes. Keep an eye on your ribs and don’t burn the sauce.
- Let rest for a while and chop.
- Serve it with rice.
I added these pictures for you to have an actual look of how I prepared this awesome dish.
As you can see the pictures on the left, that is the sweet chili sauce I used for my baby back ribs, it has the spicy kick unlike other sweet chili sauce (not too spicy though). That’s why I added the chili flakes on my rub as one of my ingredients to get a spicier ribs. But if you’re okay with just the chili sauce. You don’t have to add chili flakes on your rub. Salt and ground black pepper will definitely do the trick.
Let me know what you think about this Oven Cooking Sweet and Spicy Baby Back Ribs Recipe. If you have any suggestions or questions regarding this recipe, don’t hesitate to drop a line through our comment section below. The Urban Recipes would love to hear from you. Feedbacks will definitely help and improve us more to provide you with only the best recipes that you all deserve. Happy Cooking everyone!