Best Veal Shanks Osso Buco Recipe is one of my favorite beef recipes that I always love cooking. Aside from Bulalo dish that is famous here in the Philippines, this veal shanks osso buco recipe captured our families’ hearts.
Osso Bucco is a specialty dish of braising cross-cut veal shanks with vegetables, white wine and beef stock or broth from Milan, Italy.
I have seen a lot of questions on the internet if there is a big difference if you use Veal or Beef. Well, as to my experience. It is quite hard here in the Philippines to look for Veal Shanks, what you will always see in a meat store is beef shanks. One time, while we are at a meat shop here in Pampanga, I saw that they’re selling veal shanks. I got the urge to buy it and will cook it for my Osso Buco recipe. Also to answer some confusions between the two shanks, it really doesn’t matter if you use veal or beef because the process of cooking this Osso Buco is by slow cooking or braising the meat.
If a cow is slaughtered at around 6 or 7 months old, it is considered veal. If it is delayed for another few months, you will now have a beef.
When it comes to cooking osso buco, veal shank’s flavor is more delicate than the beef (this is because of the bone marrow). But if you love the tastier bone marrow, you’ll go for the beef shanks. What’s more important is the quality of bone marrow in the shank which is the “heart” of Osso Buco dish.
In this Best Veal Shanks Osso Buco Recipe, I used Veal Shanks (that I luckily found in a meat shop) instead of Beef Shanks.
Best Veal Shanks Osso Buco Recipe is a perfect dish with risotto rice, mashed potato or plain white rice (just the way most of the Filipinos love).
It is also heavenly good when you garnish it with gremolata. Gremolata is so simple to make which I included the recipe below. It only contains 3 main ingredients which you always have in your kitchen. Gremolata is a famous Italian condiment and is a secret ingredient sprinkled to any dishes like this Best Veal Shanks Osso Buco Recipe because of it’s bright and fresh flavors. You can use this gremolata right after you made it and you can keep it for a whole day, just make sure that you keep it in a sealed container and refrigerate it.
BEST VEAL SHANKS OSSO BUCO RECIPE
Preparation Time: 30 MINS.
Cooking Time: 2 HOURS, 30 MINS.
- 4 veal shanks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (for dusting)
- 1 ½ tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup carrot (diced)
- 1 cup celery stalk (diced)
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- ¾ cup canned tomatoes (skins removed)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- ½ cup white wine (dry)
- 1 cup beef stock
- Pinch dried oregano
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch ground clove
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 head garlic (minced)
- 1 cup parsley leave (minced)
- 3 tbsp. lemon zest (grated)
- pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- Chop each of the ingredients. Once you are done chopping each, mix them all together and chop them again at once until well-combined.
- Transfer the mixture in a bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the gremolata mixture. Mix well.
- Pat dry the veal shanks to avoid any excess moisture. (You will get nicely brown shanks if your shanks are well-dried). Secure the veal shank with a kitchen twine including the bone.
- Dredge veal shank with a mizture of flour, salt and pepper. Shake off the excess.
- Heat the pan and heat oil until smoking, sear the shanks and brown all sides, about 2-3 minutes each side. Set aside.
- Same pan, removed the brown excess from the shanks, saute onions, celery and carrots. Add tomato paste, stir well. Add the veal shanks to the pan and add wine. Reduce the liquid until half around 6-8 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, thyme, rosemary, ground clove, salt and pepper in low heat until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Add beef stock if necessary, the liquid should always be half way up the shanks.
- Removed the veal shanks from the pot carefully when the meat is tender and arrange on a platter.
- Stir continuously, bring the sauce to a boil over high heat and cook the sauce until you achieved a gravy texture/consistency sauce.
- Arrange the shanks on a platter. Pour the sauce on top of the shanks. Garnish with gremolata.
- Serve with pasta, mashed potato or rice.
Let us know what you think of our Best Veal Shanks Osso Buco Recipe. If you have any suggestions or questions regarding this recipe, don’t hesitate to drop a line through our comment section below. The Urban Recipes would love to hear from you. Feedbacks will definitely help and improve us more to provide you with only the best recipes that you all deserve. Happy Cooking everyone!